- In your opinion what is abortion and do you think it’s a problem in your district?
- In Botswana when is abortion considered to be Legal/Illega?
- In your opinion what are the main factors that lead women/couples to consider unsafe and illegal abortion?
- In your opinion do you think unsafe abortions can be prevented? How best can these be prevented in your district? (role of the community, leadership, church, health providers)
- What is your opinion on use of contraceptives to prevent unplanned/unwanted pregnancies in your district? (probe for access, choice, affordability, availability)
- What causes stigma and discrimination on clients that have been provided comprehensive abortion care and how can these be managed? (probe for cultural and religious practices)
In the next face of making the conservation around abortion to continue the next level is targeting policy makers and the leadership both councillors and parliamentarians with effort to get them tabling motion for discussion at parliament and council meeting. The thinking from community members is that a lot needs to be done, and involving our leaders it is the starting point. Maybe it is about time to review the current laws regarding abortion or rather we focus on educating the communities and these are the words coming out from community members.
Key Recommendations from the Dialogue:
- Strengthen education and awareness on contraceptives including emergency contraceptives
- Consider review of the abortion law to include economic and social grounds.
- Increase awareness campaigns using available media on abortion laws; dangers of unsafe abortion and on available services for CPAC